Open to new ideas. Since 1365. As a research university with high international visibility and a wide range of degree programmes, the University of Vienna is committed to basic research open to application and research-led teaching, as well as to career development of young researchers and to the dialogue with economy and society. That way, the University of Vienna contributes to the education of future generations and to the society’s ability to innovate.
The appointment of particularly qualified researchers to university professors is an important strategy of the University of Vienna. Become part of this vibrant and future-oriented organisation.
At the Faculty of Business, Economics and Statstics of the University of Vienna the position of a University Professor of Statistics and Stochastic Optimisation (full time, permanent position) is to be filled.
The applicant must offer outstanding scientific qualifications and corresponding publications in highly ranked international scientific journals.
The applicant’s field of research should cover areas of statistics and stochastic optimization; applications in business and economics will be considered as an additional asset. Openness to cooperations within the Faculty of Business, Economics and Statistics, and beyond, is desired.
The applicant’s teaching is expected to contribute to the education of students in statistics and operations research including the doctoral program, as well as to the education of students from other programs that are offered by the Faculty of Business, Economics and Statistics. In particular, willingness to offer introductory courses is expected.
Successful candidates should have the following qualifications:
- Doctoral degree/PhD and post-doctoral experience at a university or other research institution
- Habilitation (venia docendi) in a subject field relevant to this position or an internationally accepted equivalent qualification is desirable
- Outstanding achievements in research, excellent publication record, international reputation
- Experience in designing, procuring and managing large research projects, as well as the willingness and ability to lead research groups
- Enthusiasm for excellent teaching, teaching experience at universities as well as the ability and willingness to teach students in all phases of their studies (bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral level), to supervise academic theses and to promoting young academic colleagues
The University of Vienna expects the successful candidate to acquire, within three years, proficiency in German sufficient for teaching in bachelor’s programmes and for participation in university committees. In addition, the University of Vienna expects the successful candidate to be prepared to take over responsibility on the organisational level of the Faculty and the University, if necessary.
- a negotiable and attractive salary (classification according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement for University Staff, allocation to job group A1; section 98 of the Universities Act 2002); the salary will be individually negotiated under consideration of the previous career development and the current income situation
- in addition to the statutory social insurance, the University of Vienna offers a pension fund to its employees
- a “start-up package”, in particular for the initiation of research projects
- a dynamic research location with well-established research funding provisions
- attractive working conditions in a city with a high quality of life
- comprehensive advice and support in relation to finding an accommodation, change of schools and dual career
- a wide range of support services offered by central service institutions
The University of Vienna pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/en). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
- Application letter, including a brief description of:
- current research interests and research plans for the immediate future
- current and planned foci in academic teaching and the supervision of young researchers
- Academic curriculum vitae,
including information about “esteem factors” (e.g. experience as a publisher, functions in research societies or programme committees)
- List of publications, including:
- specification of five key publications which the applicant considers particularly relevant to the advertised professorship
- provision of an Internet link for download or electronic submission of PDF versions of these five publications
- information about citations and impact factors, depending on the common practice in the relevant research area
- List of talks given,
including information about invited keynote lectures at international conferences
- Third-party funds
list of acquired third-party funds (subject, duration, origin, volume) as well as, if applicable, of inventions/patents
- Overview of previous academic teaching and supervised theses, especially doctoral theses
- Teaching evaluations (if available)
- Copies of documents and certificates
Applications in German or English should be submitted by e-mail to the Dean of the Faculty of Business, Economics and Statistics of the University of Vienna, (email@example.com).
Reference no.: 6/2018
The application deadline is 30 September 2018.