The European Regional Section of the IASC has its own Statute, Board of Directors and Officers. It is composed of the members of the IASC residing in Europe. It is responsible for the organization of activities and events such as COMPSTAT Conferences and Summer Schools.
It was established by the IASC General Assembly during the 43rd Session of ISI held in Buenos Aires in 1981 (see the short history prepared for the ERS 25th Anniversary to recall the main steps, role and activities of this Section)
The mission of the ERS is to promote European co-operation in pursuing the aims of the IASC. In particular the IASC-ERS will, in the European context, aim to further the progress of the theory, methods, and practice of statistical computing and to foster interest and knowledge in effective and efficient statistical computing through international contacts among statisticians, computing professionals, organizations, institutions, governments.
To achieve its mission, the IASC-ERS will:
- organize international or regional seminars, conferences, meetings. In particular, the ERS shall be responsible for arranging European meetings on computational statistics, known as COMPSTAT meetings;
- promote research and training programmes on theoretical and practical aspects of computational statistics;
- foster evaluations of statistical computing techniques and programs;
- publish scientific periodicals and books, reports and newsletters, independently or in cooperation with other organizations;
- collaborate with other bodies having similar objectives.