The Department of Statistical Sciences of the University of Padova, www.stat.unipd.it, has opened a new tenured position of Full Professor in Economic Statistics (Statistica Economica – Applied Statistical Methods and Models for Economics, Finance, Business and Management) for highly qualified scholars who are engaged in research at an international level. The Department of Statistical Sciences is a department of excellence whose project “Statistical methods and models for complex data” has been financed by the Ministry of Education, Universities and Research (MIUR) at the beginning of 2018. The project will last for five years, from 2018 to 2022, and details on the project activities are available at this link https://www.stat.unipd.it/job-opening.
The new position builds on the project “Statistical models for complex data” and the selected candidate will be involved in the development of the project activities. According to the Italian rules, interested candidates must be in one of the four following cases at the time they apply to the position:
- Be in possession of the habilitation to full professorship according to the Italian law (Law 204/2010 art. 16) for the scientific field of Economic Statistics (Statistica Economica – Settore Concorsuale 13/D2 – Settore Scientifico Disciplinare S/03). For details on the habilitation rules and deadlines, we refer to the MIUR webpage for habilitation http://abilitazione.miur.it/public/index.php;
- Be in possession of the habilitation to full professorship according to the Italian Law 210/1988 and within the limits detailed in the Law 240/2010 art. 29, point 8;
- Be a Full Professor in Economic Statistics in another Italian University;
- Be involved in research and/or teaching at the University level in a position equivalent to the one opened (Professore Ordinario – Full Professor); for equivalence we refer to tables of correspondence defined in Law 240/2010, art. 18, point 1, letter b), last column; Tables are available here https://www.stat.unipd.it/job-opening.
Ideal candidates should possess a strong record of accomplishment in research, with publication in leading journals (the list of leading journals for the field and linked to the requirements for the habilitation to Full Professor position is available here https://www.stat.unipd.it/job-opening. Candidates are expected to contribute to the coordination of the activities of the excellence project, and will be involved in managing a statistical consulting laboratory that represents one of the most relevant and innovative (in the Italian system) aspects of the Department’s project.
Ideal candidates should have research interests falling under the topics covered by the project “Statistical methods and models for complex data” with a focus on both the methodological aspects and the economic interpretation of statistical analyses. For instance, the analysis of marketing and business data when traditional data sources are integrated with social media and social network data. Other examples are the analysis of markets functioning from the point of view of consumers or from the producer’s side, building on geo-localized data and/or survey data, for purposes linked, for instance, to the design of marketing campaigns. Finally, the analysis of financial markets where trading data are integrated with textual news data, social media tweets, and economic data available at lower frequencies.
Teaching experience at the undergraduate and post-graduate level is required, as well as an excellent level of English knowledge (both oral and written). The yearly teaching load amount at 120 hours, split between undergraduate, master and PhD courses. The minimum gross amount per year of the salary is € 72,430. The net income will depend on several elements including income taxes, local taxes, and tax exemptions depending on the family structure. Individuals transferring their fiscal residence to Italy from abroad may benefit for 3 years of partial tax exemptions. Economic incentives are available to the selected candidate within the excellence project (see the link above for some details on the project structure).
The deadline for submission is the 22nd of November 2018. Details on the opening can be found at this link http://bandi.miur.it/profcalls.php/public/job/id_job/59717. The position will be awarded on the basis of a competitive selection procedure that includes:
- An evaluation of the CV of the candidates: full publication history; participation to and organization of conferences; teaching duties at various levels (from BA to PhD); supervision of master students, PhD students and post-doctoral students; organizational responsibilities such as the participation to Department or University committees or the coordination of teaching programs; fund raising and the participation to or coordination of research groups and scientific projects; the involvement in consulting activities;
- An assessment of selected publications provided by the candidates (details included in the call);
- An interview to be held in Padova (details will be provided by the selection committee).
The selected candidate will be hired, ideally, in the second quarter of 2019.
Candidate’s inquiries on the position, the teaching duties, the project of excellence and the selection procedure, should be sent to the Dean of the Department Prof. Tommaso Di Fonzo (firstname.lastname@example.org), or to Prof. Massimiliano Caporin (email@example.com).