The Latin American Regional Section (LARS) of the International Association for Statistical Computing (IASC) has its own Statutes, Board of Directors and Officers. It is composed of the members of the IASC residing in Latin America. It is responsible for the organization of activities and events such as the Latin American Conference on Statistical Computing (LACSC).
The IASC-LARS was established by the IASC General Assembly during the 22nd International Conference on Computational Statistics, held in Oviedo, Spain, August 23-26, 2016.
The mission of the IASC-LARS is to promote Latin American cooperation in pursuing the aims of the IASC. In particular, the IASC-LARS will, in the Latin America context, aim to further the progress of the theory, methods, and practice of statistical computing and to foster interest and knowledge in effective and efficient statistical computing through international contacts among statisticians, computer professionals, organizations, institutions, and governments.
To achieve its mission, the IASC-LARS may:
- organize international or regional seminars, schools, conferences and meetings. In particular, the IASC-LARS shall be responsible for arranging Latin American conferences on computational statistics, which are abbreviated to LACSC meetings hereafter;
- promote research and training programs on theoretical and practical aspects of computational statistics;
- foster evaluations of statistical computing techniques and programs;
- publish scientific periodicals and books, reports and newsletters, independently or in cooperation with other organizations;
- collaborate with other bodies having similar objectives.